Thursday 7 April 2016

Memorable meals in Melbourne


Food has become an important interest of mine.  Not only eating but cooking, trying new things and experimenting is fun. I have notice that this happens to some people with passing years and passing good looks. This may too harsh assessment, but it is strange that food did not interest me at all when I was a child and quite a few years after that. My first interest in food was awakening while living in Paris and cheese was the main fascination. At this point of time I was learning to do things in the way the elegant western people did and I found out that the way to serve a cheese platter correctly is to have five types of cheese on it. I obeyed the rule perhaps even too religiously, but it was so nice to have the leftovers for lunch the next day.  Now, since I have relaxed a lot about some rules, I serve sometimes a single cheese and not necessarily after the main course. My French lessons are not followed any more. In any case, I am not sure if the rule does not apply only to restaurants cheese platters.   
                                                        
                                   Image result for elegant cheese platter

It has been a long introduction, but thinking of the meals in Melbourne re-awakened the old memories.  I should, perhaps, call my blog My Meandering.

The lady of the house is a seriously good cook and the first night I was able to watch the full preparation of the fantastic meal - a Chicken Tagine. I was rather surprised to see how many spices went in and the big amounts of them. The result was outstanding and I will give tagine a go myself once my new kitchen is installed and an appropriate dish purchased. I had my little contribution to the preparation but only in a role of the kitchen hand chopping herbs  so this experience will not count for much and I will be challenged cooking it.


                                                 Image result for tagine
The next day I was taken for tea to Hopetoun Tearooms.  The place is located in a very nice arcade, similar to Sydney Strand. Once one faces the tearooms one becomes blind to surroundings. The place is excessive. The displayed cakes are excessive, ornaments are excessive, number of people wanting to be there is excessive. One can get dizzy from all of it. We were lucky with our timing and we did not have to queue, but I heard that this is what one has to do to get in. To make a choice of tea and then a cake was quite nerve wracking. Too much of everything and all looking extremely good. We managed to do our selections as two professionals used to making difficult decisions should and can. It was fantastic! I recommend the place to potential visitors to Melbourne.

 

This was not the end of the culinary delights. My last night in Melbourne, we went to Pomodoro Sardo, a Sardinian restaurant with a great atmosphere, friendly service and fantastic authentic Italian food.  I can not remember what dishes I had, but it was great and too much of it. The Sardinian wine also met with our approval. By the end of the evening we all were really chummy with waitresses and felt like a part of a Sardinian familia. I am saying in my mind Arrivederci Pomodoro Sardo and Melbourne.

                                    Image result for pomodoro sardo 


2 comments:

  1. A nice way to round off a trip that Sardinian dinner in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate in a more civilised way than on the picture, but it was really good.

    ReplyDelete