Tuesday 29 March 2016

Three and a half days in Melbourne – Day 1


It has been some time ago since my recent visit in Melbourne. It was in February, more than one month ago. Long time ago I intended to write my impressions or observations, I should perhaps say, but time passed and I somehow have not done it yet. Now is the time.

I have heard from many people that Melbourne has a European feel, but I never got an answer to my question – how so? After the recent visit there I am not able to answer the question myself even if I would agree with the statement that the city has a European character.  Wide pavements, trams, some vegetation greener than in Sydney… That is not that much, really. Must be more but I can not put my finger on it. It would be great if I could get some comments on the subject.

It was rather eventful three and a half days. Meeting friends I have not seen for quite some time, experiencing inner city living, Andy Warhol and Ai Weiwei exhibition, Botanical Gardens, tea at Hopetoun Tea Rooms, dinner at Pomodoro Sardo Restaurant, walks in the city, graffiti lane, taste of Moroccan tagine, simple and totally Chinese lunch at the Melbourne China town... It was all fantastic.

I rather like Melbourne SkyBus service, so convenient and even not expensive. I was greeted at the city terminal by a long time no see Polish friend. We had a nice light lunch in an old fashioned (in a good way) pub/restaurant. I forgot the name, but if I am in Melbourne again, I am sure I will find the place. It has this Art Deco look, the look of solidity I have been lately positively responding to. When the lunch and a quick catch-up were done I was collected by another friend and my host for the next few days.

The place of my Melbourne friends is in the middle of the city. Modern, spacious, newly and beautifully renovated apartment on the fifteenth floor with views on the Parliament House and the St Patrick's Cathedral towers. Great place, city living at its best. In the distant past I have lived in the very centre of Warsaw and then Paris, but all my years in Australia I have lived in leafy suburbs, so I forgot how it is to step into a hustle and bustle the second you close your home door behind you. Living in the centre of a big town where so many things are happening and are available hit me by its convenience and proximity of culture and entertainment. It was just a stroll to The Arts Centre, hundreds of restaurants and coffee places and other attractions. I am an art gallery junkie, so I took the first opportunity to see the very popular with Melbournians exhibition – Andy Warhol and Ai Weiwei. I never was very keen on Andy Warhol’s art, too Marilyn Monroe for me. I did not know Ai Weiwei’s art at all, but an art exhibition is an art exhibition, so I went to check out. It was a great experience, no Italian art, but art nevertheless and I liked Ai Weiwei work a lot. He is now on my radar and I will look out for his exhibitions. Since I like Chinese porcelain and Blanc de Chine is my second favourite after blue and white, I was particularly attracted to the big White Flowers composition. 

                 

                                    
I also liked the bike with flowers and walking through the various balloon rooms. This maybe was not exactly scary but I hesitated a little before entering the floating composition. Kids had plenty of squeaking fun there.




I said that there was no Italian art on display, but I found the place with exhibition of Alchemy of a Colour with colour blue as its focus and there I found Florentine pottery! I was totally happy.




Starting the post I did not expect that I will be writing it in installments, but it looks  that my Melbourne visit was packed with interesting and memorable events. So, I will continue.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the rest of the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you liked it, my stroll in Melbourne is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bistro near the Southern Cross Station was Mail Exchange Hotel - http://mailexchangehotel.com.au/ and we ate.... saganaki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saganaki
    Thank you very much for your company and... for the second installment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I will not have any problems to find the bistro when I am next time in Melbourne. This corner of the town if packed with places I like. Another one is the Batman's Hill on Collins. I think that my next visit I will stay there and go to Bistro at Mail Exchange Hotel for Saganaki flambe. Hope they can do it.

    ReplyDelete