Sunday 10 May 2015

A sad, sad post


After my previous frivolous post there is time for serious reflections. I have been recently reading serious books, thinking serious thoughts, saying internally good bye to somebody departed who had been important in my life. Consequently, my reflections and thoughts have been a bit morose. Then, I saw a post  with a cheerful title Are Europeans sadder? I decided that this is something very appropriate for my current mood.  With each year passing, I feel more and more European, the post content caught my attention and interest. What do I think about it? What is my experience? Maybe Europeans are sadder, but in relation to whom? My observations tell me that the south Europeans are a cheerful lot but Scandinavians and Germans not so much. Poles are somewhere in-between, perhaps. I would place French and Spanish, on my personal happiness scale between Poland and Southern Europe. It makes me think that maybe weather and sunshine have some influence here. In addition to reasons given in the mentioned post, I wonder what influence European literature has on emotional predispositions of people. I have just finished biography of Herman Hesse and I would not call it a happy story. Deep and meaningful but not happy. Hesse was a strange, complicated man and a brilliant writer who influenced thinking of many generations of Germans in particular. Sure, his books are read in all countries of the world but I would risk an assumption that Europeans are in majority of his followers. His books do not cheer the readers up.

When I was at school, I had a great teacher of literature. At some stage of my education the time has come to read and study one of famous Polish writers of an unpronounceable name, Żeromski. He was called a conscience of Polish literature and his books were a mandatory reading at high schools. They cover serious, difficult subjects and I can not remember any funny parts in his novels. My teacher used to say : Be careful reading Żeromski. One novel – will not do you any damage, but if you read two in a row depression will follow, three books in a row may lead to a suicide. Perhaps the jurors of Nobel price committee in 1924 were aware of the danger and selected another Polish writer who was also on a short list this year – Reymont.

Image result for zeromski
Żeromski - Looking at the man one can see that he wrote about serious matters
                                                
One of my Polish friends who is a literature teacher recently suggested that I read a new international bestseller – The Struggle by Karl Ove Knaussgaard. The first one of the six parts of The Struggle is called – A Death in the Family. This is the book that I just finished. Great book, full of meaningful reflections. The story is also very good and based on the life of the author. Being under influence of the dark wisdom of the book I feel sad. I am waiting for the next two parts to arrive by post. Was is a wise move to order more? Perhaps not, my literature teacher would most likely object and worry about my well-being.

Image result for knausgaard my struggle
The picture on the cover is of the author

Since I decided to unburden myself by damping all my current sadness in this post, I have to mention my recent visit to the local nursing home. Nursing homes are generally sad places, but I decided to volunteer my time to spend it with people who live there. I know that they have caring families but maybe sometimes the families are too busy to visit and I could make a positive difference, however small.

I must confess I expected a warm welcome but instead I was coldly and briefly informed that my enthusiasm to help can not be used in this establishment and that I should turn to the local council. When I wanted to find out if the council could potentially direct me to the nursing home I was told that they are very busy, too busy to chat with me and that they have paid qualified staff and families to support the patients. Wow, that made me sad! Sad for failing to help, but most of all sad for the patients who may be deprived of company they might want to have.


I did go to the local council to offer my help and this was a very happy story with a promising outcome and as such does not belong to my sad, very sad post.

7 comments:

  1. A very nice post indeed, AC. Thanks for the link too. I have tweeted the post, put it on my public FB page and will mention it in today's Monday Forum. It's worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jim. You are very supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to be supportive! On Karl Ove Knaussgaard, some of my family and friends used to worry that they might become characters in one of my books. Books? Ah. I'm struggling to get one out. Perhaps extended blog posts? But there is a point there, for we do mine our own experiences even when writing non fiction. And at what point do we draw the veil of privacy over things connected with other people?

    If you look at Carrington et al, Bloomsbury is popular just because the veil was broken. Even then there were struggles, as you can see with Holroyd.'s explanations of what he included and why. But if the veil hadn't been broken, Bloomsbury would not exist in current thought.

    Enough. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experience in attempting to volunteer at the nursing home is indeed sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is. I only hope that the man in the office had a bad day and was not able to handle it.
    The response in the council was really encouraging though and I will be able to help somebody. Maybe even in a nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim's post was interesting when I had read it for its academic importance. I think that older people everywhere are now getting to be sadder than their parents were at that age, rather than any particular nationals or continentals becoming so. Primary reason is the very mobile lives that we now lead with families scattering all over the world and older people losing the closeness of the olden days. On the other hand, modern conveniences like skype. whatsapp etc have made it possible to be in touch but they seem more to add to the misery! We have not met personally,but you have not come across as a sad person. What makes you think so? Reading morbid books can temporarily give a low, but that should not make one permanently sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, I do not consider myself a sad person.Maybe even the opposite. I wrote it a bit tongue-in-cheek and a bit under influence of some sadness but still with a distance to my negative feelings. Getting older has its challenges and it becomes difficult sometimes. I am learning to deal with it and hope I will find my way through the difficulties I sometimes experience.

    ReplyDelete