Friday 17 May 2013

Why I like and respect the Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk


I have written this post a long time ago and it turned out to be my most frequently read post. I understand that the reason for its popularity is Mr. Tusk rather than my insightful writing. It would be nice to get any comments from my readers, critical or complimentary. 

Today is the time of local election in Poland. Won by Mr. Tusk's party opposition. I hope this is not going to turn into a problem for Poland some time from now. It is time for change in Poland, of course and I will be watching from afar with keen interest and best wishes for my country of origin. I am also curious how Mr. Tusk career will develop on the international ground. And I hope he will make a positive mark on European politics. He  is definitely capable of that.

Some time ago while talking to one of my Australian friends, Polish Prime Minister came into the conversation. I like Donald Tusk and to me he is the best Polish politician in the last years. I was asked to justify my opinion; this was an unfamiliar territory for me. I tried to answer and made complete mess out of my argument. I did not convince of merits of Polish Prime Minister as an outstanding politician.
 My old uni professors Miss Szmuszkowicz (aren’t Polish names fascinating?) would think – that's right, I thought Anna wouldn’t know such things. Before one of the exams she expressed her view that I did not look like one who can know much and certainly not about analysis in maths. Presumably I represented a blond image. I did pass the exam though. Regarding Donald Tusk I gave a really dumb answer: He is handsome, 56 years old and plays soccer. When I ponder on what I said, I am amazed how I could come up with such a line and not much more else. As an excuse I might say that many journalists would voice similar opinion not adding much more.
Feeling bad about not giving Donald Tusk justice I want to try again as I really admire the man.
He is all of that what I had said. To me it is important even on reflection. His age tells you that he is experienced and at the same time young enough to stay in politics for a while.
Handsome and cultural is also positive in politics, the first impression and image is important. There is still some stigma attached to Eastern European countries. This will change if the countries are no longer represented by Nikita Khrushchev look alike. You may still remember him accentuating arguments with help of shoe banging in the United Nations.
.
Poland is sometimes painted with the same brush even if such type of behaviour among Eastern politicians is well in the past and Donald Tusk stands out among European politicians as a true statesman in many respects.
He has a good presence, he has energy and experience. He is intelligent, very sharp, extremely good speaker – relaxed, friendly manners, open, respectful of others, polite. He comes across as a genuine and honest man. This maybe only is an impression, he is a politician after all, but in my opinion he is convincing even that way.
                        
What particularly impressed me about the Prime Minister was his behaviour after the tragedy of 2010 when 96 Polish politicians and the plane crew died in the air crush near Smolensk, Russia. The Prime Minister was everywhere where he was needed, visibly moved but composed, supporting in an exceptional way families of those who died. I will always remember the coffins coming to the Warsaw airport, placed on the runway where they were individually farewelled by Donald Tusk. It lasted hours and it was tremendously sad and moving. Donald Tusk had something warm and personal to say about each of the departed people. His enemies were addressed with the same warmth and respect as his friends. This is long forgotten and distorted by the opposition, he is even unjustly considered to be responsible for the death of the 96 people.
The following positives of Polish situation I attribute to the current government and leadership of Donald Tusk.
Poland has not been much affected by the economical crises in Europe and so far came through with increased gross national product.
The foreign politics with respect to Germany and Russia has improved significantly and the relationship with France moved up another level with Polish President even being a part of celebrations in Paris of WWII Victory in Europe as equal to President Hollande.
                         Francois Hollande i Bronisław Komorowski
In the last few points I am really out of my depth and would not like to confabulate.
I would like to say that I feel more proud of being associated with Poland since Donald Tusk took over the government of the country.
I am afraid that this will be the last term of the Donald Tusk and his government. Maybe after 8 years it is time to move on to take an important role in EU. Many say that this is on the cards.

1 comment: